A good way to give your babies herbs is to add them to their food. Here are a few recipes that you can use to do just that:
1. Veggie Rice Pot
This dish is delicious, and your baby will never know you added Astragalus into it to boost his immunity.
- 1 chopped medium carrot
- 1 chopped medium parsnip
- 1 slice of astragalus root
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- Sauté carrots and parsnips in olive oil until soft.
- Add mixed herbs, astragalus root, and rice and cook until fragrant.
- Add one and half a cup of water to it.
- Once it starts boiling, simmer for 40 minutes until rice is soft.
- Remove astragalus root.
2. Tomato and Calendula Rasam
Great for monsoon and winter to ward off illness, calendula blossoms give a peppery and tangy taste to the dish. However, use organic blossoms while cooking.
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 calendula blossom
- ½ tsp jeera
- 2 garlic cloves
- A pinch of turmeric and salt
- Blanche and peel the tomatoes.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and garlic until fragrant.
- Grind into a paste with tomatoes.
- Boil the calendula blossoms in one cup of water.
- Heat some oil and add tomato puree, haldi, and salt, and cook over low flame.
- Remove the calendula blossom and add the water to the mixture and boil until frothy.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
3. Elderberry Chia Pudding
A sweet pudding for your little one will make for a great treat.
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Jaggery to sweeten
- Three teaspoons of elderberry syrup
- In a glass container, whisk all the ingredients together until there are no lumps.
- Leave to breathe for 15 minutes and mix again.
- Place the lid and refrigerate overnight.
Before going ahead with any herbal remedy, ensure that your child is not allergic to any of the herbs. Do a patch test, first. Apply a bit of the herb on a patch of skin and see if it causes any negative reaction in your child, then take go ahead with these remedies. Keep in mind that the use of any medicine, herbal or some other, should be done with the supervision of someone who is qualified in the field.